Wednesday, February 9, 2011

2011-02-09 What's in a name

Paula and Cleo want to change their names since they never really liked what their parents chose. Paula selected 'Phoebe' as her nom de guerre while Cleo chose 'Chloe' since this is what many people call her anyway. I never liked Grant Thomas. I still get mail addressed to Grant T. Heath. Thomas Grant Heath would have been better. Missy changed to Melissa when she entered BYU; Nan became Natalie at the same time. Kim Lee Young legally changed his name to Kimball L. Young - too much Chinese in the original. Cleo Myrlene Roylance became Myrlene because she thought Cleo was weird. Melanie has at times expressed some dislike for her name. Brian doesn't like 'Roylance' as a middle name (neither does his mom who would have preferred 'Thomas')

So what if we changed our culture to allow every one to pick their own name? I'd be Sean Thomas Connery since when I grew a beard I was often mistaken for him.