Monday, July 9, 2007

2006-06-16 Natalie's update

Hello All,

It has been a few weeks since our last update. We've enjoyed great weather,
which is great for being outside. Unfortunately, we're in a drought. It
has been over two weeks with no rain. The water company has requested that
people don't water their lawns for a week. I am not being "green" in this
matter. Our grass already struggles and that is with frequent weeding,
watering, and seeding. It is work to make our yard look nice. It is worth
the effort. Our garden is growing, which makes me excited. I especially
can't wait for the fresh garden tomatoes and cucumbers.

We took the boat out for the first time on Monday, June 11th. JUNE 11th!!!
We were all excited to finally get out on the lake again. I waterskiied and
Elsa tubed. It felt good and reminds us that summer is really the best time
of year to be in Indiana, at least where we live. Ava is still timid about
all things water. She doesn't like riding in the tube, and she prefers
lying in the lawn chair at the pool or watering the flowers with her little
watering can. She has forfieted swimming lessons and doesn't even like
getting in the pool with me or Brian. Oh, well. She is our diva for now.
She sits with her hat and sunglasses on the beach chairs with all the moms.
It cracks me up. They all think it is funny too.

Elsa finished her last game of spring soccer on Thursday. She did a great
job running and hustling for the ball. In last weeks game, she kicked the
ball all the way down the field without any obstructions. She is a fast
runner! She was so excited about her success. At the beginning of the
season, she was timid to go after the ball if someone else had it. As a
result, she would end up chasing the ball or the person with the ball or end
up playing with a blade of grass. She is getting a little more aggressive
about going for the ball (see the pictures). It is fun to watch her advance
in her soccer skills. She was more than thrilled to get her trophy. She
held it for the rest of the evening and now has it next to her bed. She
told me as we were driving home that the reason she wanted to play soccer
was "to get a trophy and to get exercise by running." If those were her
goals, she accomplished both. Elsa started up swimming lessons again this
week. She loves to swim and is the first to put her swimsuit on and head out
the door. Lately, she has been riding her bike to the pool, which she also
loves. She is our very active, physical child. She is pretty sweet too!

Ava had her three year well check-up this week. She grew 3 1/2 inches this
last year. She is tall and lean, as the doctor said. Her umbilical hernia
has grown in, so we don't have to worry about that anymore. She is healthy
and strong. We are blessed to have healthy children! Ava is quickly
becoming more stubborn, which I am remember is typical three year-old
behavior. She challenges me almost every morning with putting on clothes,
which makes leaving the house a big chore. (She likes to be a "naked bum.")
Fortunately, there are only two days a week that we have to be out of the
house by 9:00am. Ava is just particular and it cracks me up. For example,
she does NOT like kisses. Which is sad because she is so kissable with her
full cheeks and sweet face. Whenever you kiss her, she dramatically wipes
the kiss off and distinctly says, "I do not like kisses, only hugs." She'll
then proceed to give you the best hug ever. I'll take the hugs and sneak in
kisses when possible. She continues to LOVE her animals. Each room in the
house has some sort of animal collection, whether it is Little People
animals, Schleich animals, My Littlest Pet Shop, Barbie Pet Shop, Stuffed
animals, and even wood magnet animals. We have them all. We rented a movie
on bird migration, so our latest "animal" adventures have to deal with
birds. We rounded up every type of bird we could find from all the
different collections. Now I find birds all over the place - behind
cushions, under chairs, and in shoes (my favorite). Ava is our animal
lover.

Ava really wants a dog, and Elsa really wants a baby. I went to my friend
Noelle's house yesterday who had her baby a week ago. I spent two hours
just holding her newborn girl, Hazel. It was so fun. Elsa and Ava loved
holding her too. While Elsa was holding Hazel, she said to me, "Mom, I know
babies take a long time to come but it is worth it." It almost made me cry.
Elsa is so sweet with babies and little kids. All the moms tell me that she
is the best helper with their kids and that she is going to be a great
babysitter. I agree. She is loving and responsible.

I am now headed to the pool to meet up with Brian, Elsa and Ava. Brian
returned home last night from being in Barcelona for the week. He was tired
from all the travel and jet lag, but it didn't stop him from waking up at
6:40 to meet up with the EQ for softball. Unfortunately, he spent the rest
of the morning cleaning the church since one of the families didn't show up.
He is constantly serving. I think it is one of his best qualities. Brian
and I did a babysitting swap last night, so we are going out tonight. We
are going to ride our bikes along the Monon Trail and grab dinner at one of
the restaurants along the way. We are excited to ride our bikes together
without the girls. (Not that we don't love them, but it is nice to ride at
our pace and without the comments of "I'm thirsty." "I'm tired." "I want
to go home." You know what I'm saying.) Enjoy your weekends. We are
enjoying ours. Happy Father's Day to all you dads and husbands. We love
you all.

The Heaths

No comments: