Sunday, December 17, 2006

Natalie's update


Hello All,We are counting down days until we come to Utah. Everyday Elsa or Ava asks me if we are going to the airport. We have been having a good time withChristmas activities. Elsa is a little disappointed that we didn't put up aChristmas tree this year. We should buy a fake one, so decorating it wouldbe easier. Maybe next year. Brian did compromise by putting up a fewlights outside. This has sufficed for now. We've told Elsa that Grandma andGrandpa will have a big Christmas tree with lots of lights waiting for her.Elsa has been so helpful and obedient. From watching "Mickey Saves Santa"from Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, she has learned that you have to be good to getpresents. Now whenever Ava fusses or is grumpy, Elsa says, "Ava you won'tget presents if you're not nice." The other day driving in the car, Ava wascomplaining and when Elsa gave her usual "be nice" lecture, Ava said, "Nopresents." Elsa then followed up by saying, "Well Ava, you need to say noTHANK YOU. I don't want presents." Later that night when Brian asked Ava ifshe was excited for Santa to bring her presents, she said, "I just say nothank you Santa." Brian was confused as to why Ava wouldn't want presents.He started to wonder what I was threatening at home. :) The girls have not had any specific requests for Christmas presents. Idon't know if this makes it easy or more difficult in the case that theyreally are expecting one thing and don't get it. It could be worse, Isuppose. I've heard of friends calling at 5:00am to find out when the UPStrucks arrive at Toys 'R Us for the tickle me Elmo. I was told that Avawould love it, but I have no desire to join the chaos. So far, this seasonhasn't been too hectic. Elsa and I enjoyed Christmas shopping for a familythat lives downtown. Elsa picked a five year-old girl named Myesha to buyclothes and toys for. She wrapped the presents at school yesterday and hadso much fun doing it. However, she was a little nervous that Santa wouldn'tfind Myesha's house. I told her not to worry. Elsa is so tender-heartedand caring. It has really made it fun to talk to her about Jesus' birth,giving, and the idea of Santa giving to those in need. Last week we made and decorated graham cracker houses. The girls lovedhaving their own house to decorate almost as much as having free reign onthe candy bowls. Today we went to a gingerbread house display/competition.Ava was interested in looking at each of the details. It was prettyremarkable. I've attached a few pictures to show you that these are noamateaurs. Of course, there were the many girl scout troops thatcontributed their similar graham cracker houses, which were also fun to see.Maybe next year, we'll submit an entry. That is if I can get a tree up anddecorated, get out Christmas cards before the new year, and clean my house.I guess it is wishful thinking!Ava is still in the process of potty-training. Ava does great if she isnaked--no accidents. Once she has underwear, diapers, or pants on, sheconsiders it equal to a toilet. During the day, I let her go around thehouse with a only a top on. Unfortunately, for mine and Ava's sake, sheneeds to learn to wear underwear. Ava is just so cute about it. She tellsme that she gets m&m's. Elsa added in cookies. So now Ava says, "I getm&m's and tookies." Hearing her say it is about the cutest thing. When Ilaugh and tell her she is a piece of work, she says, "NO, I ampotty-trained," or "No, I am Aba Heath." She cannot stop talking about"mickey mouse and minnie mouse and goofy and donald duck and daisy duck anddoggie [Pluto]." Hop hop has been replaced for the time being. She carriesaround all five stuffed animals (the one yellow duck is Donald.) It is achallenge for Ava to get out of bed, get into the car, etc. because you haveher and her entourage. I even found all five animals lined up against thewall in the bathroom. I guess they were lending their support to Ava'spotty-training endeavours. The Disney Cruise defintely has made its mark onAva. Both her preschool and nursery teachers have told me that Ava hasemerged from her usual reserve. She talks non-stop to them about MickeyMouse and the Disney cruise. I guess she just didn't have many interestingthings to say before now. She tells me almost daily, "Mom, I need to go onthe Disney Cruise. Right now!" If only life were that easy.Elsa just seems to be growing in leaps and bounds. She is finally embracingbeing a big 4 year-old. She likes having her own things that Ava can't doand takes pride in being responsible like putting her shoes on, bucklingherself in her carseat, getting her own drinks, cleaning her room (myproudest task) etc. Even though she likes have special privileges apartfrom Ava, she is Ava's biggest supporter. They play so well together. Ienjoy watching them interact. Lately, they have been playing Ursula andAriel. Ava has the plight of being Ursula (younger sisters just get pickedon---Sabrina in Charlie's Angel ring a bell?) Often I hear Ava say, "Keepsinging!" followed by Elsa saying "Aaahhh---AaaHHH---AAAHHH" in crescendo.Sometimes, Elsa is generous and lets Ava be Ariel. Isn't she nice??? Elsais doing really well in her speech classes. She is more deliberate with hersounds. Her teacher told me that Elsa is very teachable and that she willwork on the sound until she gets it right. She said that most kids won'tcontinue when they get stuck on a sound. It made me proud of Elsa. I dofind it to be true at home too. Elsa so badly wants to do the right thingsand likes to help. She is also only 4 and knows when to displace blame.She told Brian last night, "Sometimes I lie to Mommy and tell her Ava did itso she won't be mad at me." Kids are smart. I don't think I am muchfurther ahead in strategy, especially when it is two-to-one. It is goodthat I have a sense of humor when intelligence is lacking. Brian is still in the negotiating process with AIGB in Texas. I am notthinking about it for the moment because there is really nothing I can dountil we have a more concrete offer. It makes me a little nervous, but Ialso realize that change is a good thing--after a year or so! We areblessed to have opportunities, as well as fun children, good health, and ahouse over our heads. (The siding is now repaired, so it is an even saferhouse. It made Elsa a little nervous to realize that a little wind could dothat to our house. She equates it to the Big Bad Wolf. She was thinkingour house of brick could withstand the wind. With it being repaired, wehave secured her confidence once again in the protection of our house.) :)We love you and wish you well. We only have a week to go to see you.Love,Natalie

No comments: